Isobel: Unearthing Geography

Hi everyone,

2016 is already upon us and hopefully this year will be excellent for us all!

Like my previous two blogs, where I have focused on each of my subjects, I will be talking about the third and final subject I am studying here at Cadbury: Geography. I have always had a passion for geography, and after studying it at GCSE level, I decided that I wanted to continue exploring the subject further, which is why I now study ALevel geography. Please note though, it is not compulsory for you to have studied geography at GCSE level in order for you to study it at college.

As my other two courses are creative and practical-based, and geography is not, having a mixture of learning styles is incredibly refreshing and I personally enjoy the different ways of learning. In each lesson we discuss topical and current issues, working from textbooks, and using a wide range of resources to aid our learning.  We even have a few self-taught sessions where guided research is our main focus.

Several trips are on offer throughout the course. So far there has been a trip to the Lake District and in February we will all be going to Bournemouth to look at coastal formations and erosion. I definitely think that geography has the best trips on offer, but you don’t have to attend all of them to be successful on the course (hopefully)! You will have the opportunity to visit new places and have fun without even realising that you’re learning key knowledge for the course.

It is important to carry out some work in your own time for this subject, which includes note-taking from the text books, discovering and learning a range of case studies, reading topical news stories, and asking questions about the world around you. You realise that you are immersed in geography all of the time, and that we are affected every day by geographical issues. So why not learn more about it and see just how important it is to all of us now and for our future?

I hope this blog, and my previous two posts, have helped to inform you more about possible subject choices for college. As student bloggers, we want to help you make these important decisions about further education easier for you, and hope that your transition into college life is as easy as possible.

I will be back with another blog post about college life at Cadbury next month,

Bye for now,

Isobel