Isobel: December and Digital Arts

Hi everyone,

December seems to have come around incredibly quickly – we’re at the end of our first term already! I have to admit though; this is my favourite time of year, so I’m definitely not complaining!

But, similar to last month, I thought I’d use this blog post to talk about another subject that I am particularly enjoying at the moment: Digital Arts.

Digital Arts is a BTEC course, something I wasn’t all that familiar with when I started college. This means that our course is 100% coursework, which personally I really enjoy. Many people think that BTECs aren’t as worthy as A-Levels or that they don’t require as much work, but it’s like anything – you only get out what you put in. I have the same amount of work for this subject as I do for my others, but it is very different to my other subjects as it is computer-based. I strongly believe that studying a range of subjects that you enjoy makes your time in education a lot more fun and interesting.

With one of my other subjects, Geography, it is exam based; studying from textbooks and doing written work. With Textiles, it is creative and analytical; creating things using a range of methods and analysing my work as I go. With Digital Arts, it is also creative and there are elements of written work, but it is done in a very different way.

We have a digital sketchbook instead of a physical one where we present all of our work. The first project we are doing revolves around creating a logo for a fictional company. We have almost finished this project, but it has been so much fun! I’ve learned a huge amount of new skills, including how to use Photoshop and how to explore and take inspiration from artist’s and designer’s work. I was a little bit apprehensive about starting this course at first as I didn’t take a digital arts subject at GCSE and I had never used Photoshop before. However, the support has been amazing and we’ve had multiple tutorials on how to use the software. This has been a great help, and the majority of my class started out on the same level so we’re all learning these new things and progressing together.

If you enjoy creative subjects and are considering studying some here at Cadbury, then I would highly recommend that you research digital arts as it allows you develop your computer, photography, drawing and creative skills too. I think it is an amazing subject and I am so happy to be on the course.

On that note, I will finish off here, saying a goodbye to you and to 2015. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and new year, and I will be back in 2016 with a new post!

Bye for now,

Isobel