Maisie: The Stats of Future Students

Hi all,

As you may be aware, the college held an Open Day on Saturday 17th October, to which many young people attended hoping to get a taster of college life at Cadbury.

During the day, I supported the college and represented the student body by acting as a "journalist" for the day, making the most of my student blogger role.  I interviewed 30 randomly selected visitors to find out what it is about Cadbury that students are most interested in, and what we are doing, and can do, to spread the word and promote our college.

Below are my results.


The above clearly indicates that our connections with schools across Birmingham play a huge part in attracting year elevens, and our positive reputation means young people help promote us within their social groups.


From the results, it is clear that our number of courses and range of choice is recognised across Birmingham. I myself first visited Cadbury because it offers Further Mathematics. However, the majority of visitors attended the Open Day to browse, and compare it to other colleges they may have visited. This is why our Open Day is so important. The day gave us a chance to show off our assets to the public, and present ourselves in a positive light to the young people thinking about applying to the college.



I attempted to speak to possible applicants around the college on Open Day, in order to speak to a range of people with different interests for a fair test, however my results still seem slightly bias.

Regardless, Cadbury attracts many students who aim for a more academic set of qualifications due to our reputation with sciences, as the results above clearly indicate. Nearly all students who were interested in Maths also wanted to study a Science. Those who wanted a more creative set of results chose either Psychology or Sociology along with artistic courses.

It is important for us to take note of the volume of young people interested in our courses, so we are able to continue facilitating and supporting our students with their decisions.


I asked our visitors how interested they were in applying to Cadbury College, and 50% said they were extremely interested, and loved the college so far! Of the 30 people I spoke to, only one said they were not interested in applying to the college, and that was only because said visitor had their heart set on a place closer to home.

Looking at the above, and the overall results of the interviews, I would say we had a very positive Open Day, with a huge number of visitors and possible applicants taking a shine to the college.

I would like to thank all of the visitors that took part in my little experiment, and I hope to see you again in September!

Regards,
MT